Monday, October 20, 2008

Sleepy Hollow





















I may be the only one, but I didn't realize that Sleepy Hollow was a real town until I moved to NYC. I remember watching the animated Disney remake of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow many times when I was little but the opening sequence telling the exact location: just a little ways up the Hudson River from Manhattan, obviously didn't stick with me. Nevertheless, Halloweentown is alive and well. This past weekend we attended the Legends event:

"At Philipsburg Manor, lit by candle lanterns and bonfires,
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow lives and the Headless Horseman still rides! During this wildly popular, classic Halloween event, the grounds transform into a haunted landscape visited by goblins and ghosts from Hudson Valley folklore. Wander through at your own pace while ghouls, witches, pirates, and apparitions come eerily to life."

It was a lot of fun and we love it when people go all out for a holiday. The photo above is one picture of the headless horseman taken right before he rode through a tree and got stuck in the branches :) Here are some more photos of our excursion on Saturday. We drove through CT and also visited the Union Church in Sleepy Hollow where the Rockefellers commissioned Chagall and Matisse to do 9 stained glass windows. Beautiful, but unfortunately you can't take pictures.

2 comments:

Shelise said...

Yea! I'm so glad you finally did this. I know I'm a little computer illiterate, but I really couldn't figure out the other website very well. Now I will be able to see everything from a view I'm familiar with.

Courtnie said...

Looks like it was a lot of fun. Were the boys scared or is it only my kids who are afraid of "scary Halloween" stuff?!?